Are you tired of having to haul your laundry to the laundromat? Hoarding change in anticipation of laundry day? Waiting endlessly in an enclosed space waiting for an available unit and then having to spend time waiting for your wash to be done because the fear of getting your clothes either stolen or tossed aside if not emptied on time is high? If any of this resonates with you, then you are an ideal person to own a portable washing machine. It has become a must for people with busy lives and limited space.
What are Portable washing machines?:
Portable wash machines are also known as mini washing machines. These as the name implies are smaller versions of full-size washing machines. They are ideal appliances when space is at a premium or in homes that lack laundry room facilities and the proper hook-ups. How do portable washing machines work? They work just like their bigger counterparts, only in smaller proportions. Portable clothes washers are designed to be compact and can be stored in small spaces such as a closet and can be moved with ease for use in the kitchen or bathroom for instance. How to hook up the mini washer? Easy, most washers come with a hose that hooks up to a faucet in order to wash clothes. Afterwards, the water is drained in the sink or bathroom, or outside..any place with drainage. Just like we have the recommended mid-price cell phone review, we have complied a comprehensive one for portable washer machines. Please note that affiliate links are contained in this post and we will make a small commission at no extra cost to you if you use our link.
|Portable Washer Machine||Type||Warranty||Ratings||Price|
Haier HLP21N Pulsator 1-Cubic-Foot Portable Washer
|Top Load (Our Pick)||1 year||4.3/5|
Giantex Portable Mini Compact Twin Tub 16lbs Washing Machine Washer Spin Cycle
|Top Load||1 year||4.0/5|
Best Choice Products Portable Twin Tub Washer & Spin Cycle w/ Hose, 13lbs. Capacity
|Top Load||1 year||4.0/5|
The Laundry Alternative Wonderwash Non-electric Portable Compact Mini Washing Machine
|Top Load||3 years||4.0/5|
Panda Small Compact Portable Washing Machine 7.9lbs Capacity with Spin Dryer
|Top Load||1 year||3.9/5|
Some places where portable washing machine use is ideal.
- Tiny Home. With the new tiny home movement where people want to leave a smaller ecological footprint, portable washing machines are ideal. A tiny home has limited space and every inch available is put to good use. A space saving, portable washer makes perfect sense as it also uses less water and electricity.
- Small apartments. A lot of apartments are not equipped with private laundry rooms. This often means lugging dirty laundry to some god-forsaken basement or laundromat. Of course, there’s no guarantee that the washing machines there will be in working condition. A portable washing machine eliminates this need and can be stowed away. How awesome to be able to do your laundry in your own personal place and how liberating to stop living in fear of not having correct change at the laundromat?
- Students in Dormitories might find this a much more convenient laundry alternative. Space is also at a premium, but it is easy to fit this in a dorm room and a relief to be able to do laundry on your own time.
- Professionals who move often. It might be a better option to have a portable washing machine which moves with you rather than a full size washer and dryer which would require movers or at least help from others. Trying to sell those large units might also be a pain. A simple and easily portable washer can not only be put in the car, but it saves having to arrive at a new place and go searching for a laundromat.
- Families with children. Even if the home has full size appliances, there are often times when a small load of laundry is needed. Perhaps a favorite dress that is worn often or stains that need to be taken care of before a whole load of laundry. A portable clothes washer makes it extremely easy to wash small loads on the fly, especially newborn clothes that are often soiled.
- Campers in RV’s. Again, space is a premium and a compact washing machine is ideal to do small loads of laundry. It is a viable laundry alternative with a simple hook-up, either in isolated places or camping grounds where there is easy hookup. How lovely to be able to clean your kids camp clothes without bagging them up to bring back home to wash later.
What to consider when buying a portable washing machine:
- Ease of use. This is one of the most important things you need to consider. Quite a few portable washing machines are just as efficient as the full-size washers. They wash, rinse and spin the clothes like their bigger counterparts. Others require you to physically move the laundry from the wash side to the spin side. Other portable washers require you to do the cranking by hand because they do not use a drop of electricity which might become tiring and lose its allure in a very short amount of time.
- Noise level. This is extremely important. The best part about having a time saving appliance like a mini washer machine is being able to use it at all times, like perhaps after a late night at work. You wouldn’t want a noisy washer that will keep your neighbors or family awake or prevent you from working in a quiet environment,
- Drying ability. The spin cycle is an important component of a portable washer machine. When you wash clothes by hand, you need to physically wring the clothes to expel water so that there is a shorter amount of time to dry in the sun. The spin cycle does the same thing. It spins the clothes fast and removes water during this cycle meaning faster drying time.
- Detergent. Liquid detergent tends to be better for use in portable washers since it dissolves quicker. Using powdered ones may leave undissolved clumps or streaking on your clothes.
- Size. Yes, I know we are talking about mini washing machines that take up little space, but it is also important that the amount of space you have available is taken into consideration. A larger portable clothes washer might be better if you have a tad more space since you can wash more things. If there is little space, then of course, you are better with a washer that is even more compact.
Who sells portable washing machines?
You can find washers at big name stores like Sears and Home Depot. We like Amazon because it’s easy to purchase and it is delivered right to your door eliminating the need to drive.
Which portable washing machine is best?
Haier HLP21N Pulsator: (Our top pick)
Portable washer with 1-cubic-foot stainless-steel tub for loads up to 6 pounds with 3 water levels and wash cycles. LED indicators and electronic controls with quiet operation. Easy installation and quick connect sink adapter included. It weighs 43 pounds. End of cycle alert. Smooth rolling casters make it a snap to move and store. Stainless steel drum. End of cycle alert. This is a fine piece of machinery that will last you a long time.
Con: Spinner cycle might be a tad noisy.
Giantex Portable Compact Washing machine:
Easy to operate and can handle 11 pounds of laundry. Durable plastic and the timer can be controlled. See-thru lids so you can see the laundry. Need to wash with detergent first, then run the rinse without detergent and then move to the spinner side, which might require it to be run twice as it is smaller than the washer side for a total time of 35-40 minutes.
- Short hose that might require filling the washer with buckets of water.
- You need to transfer from washer to spinner.
Best Choice Products Portable Washer:
A 40 minute total time wash. (15 for laundry with detergent, 15 for rinse (without detergent) and 5 plus for spinner cycle). It can handle 8 pounds of laundry in the washer with its compact twin tub design. It boasts an overall quiet operation and with a weight of 24 pounds, can easily be put in a car for transport. Made of durable plastic. It is also relatively quiet.
- Need to transfer from washer to spinner.
- Small inlet hose that might not fit sinks often requiring the use of a bucket to fill the tub.
- Small spin cycle space
Wonder Wash – The laundry alternative:
Non-electric, hand cranked washer that uses far less water. The most eco-friendly of the bunch. There is no agitator so it’s perfect for delicate fabric. It is also the least expensive of the washers. At just 5.5 pounds, it’s a breeze to transport.
- Quickly tiring since it’s manual labor.
- Prone to leaking, especially when thicker materials like towels and jeans are washed.
- Not very sturdy (plastic stand).
- Slow to drain.
Panda Small Compact:
Timer operated and a weight of just 28 pounds so can be moved easily without help. Easy to operate and a powerful agitator matched with an innovative design that is pleasing to the eye.
- Must transfer from washer to spinner.
- Slow draining
- Noisy timer.
Things to remember when using a portable washing machine:
- Remember to have the washer close to a drain or sink for easier draining.
- Avoid using in carpeted areas. This way, unexpected jerking of the hose causing water to splash can prevent wet carpeting.
- Make sure to unplug the appliance before draining.
- Avoid storing the washer until the hose is dry. This can prevent shocking or a short the next time you use it.
With all these in mind, you can see how a portable washer might just be right for you if you have limited space or leave an active outdoorsy lifestyle. A purchase of a washer, and you and your appliance can live harmoniously. You can put the days of running to the laundromat behind you forever.