Oscar Wilde was a famous Irish writer and poet.You might know him as the author of “The Picture of Dorian Gray” or the masterpieces (at least in my opinion, “The Importance of Being Earnest” and “An Ideal Husband”. He is also famous for an amazing number of witty quotes. While he died destitute at the age of forty six, his legacy lives on in the amazing body of work that he left behind. I actually had the fortune of staying at an AirBnB place on the same street where he grew up (Tite Street in London) which was a real treat for me. He was born in October, and since I’m a big fan, l am sharing some of my favorite quotes by him that inspire me to greater heights. As a bonus, you can download a free Halloween screen saver with subscription to the newsletter.
10 Awesome and Witty Oscar Wilde Quotes:
1) “When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is.” Yes, this is in fact cheeky, but you have to admit that money will solve a lot of problems. Like l say, money might not bring me happiness, but l would happily park my yacht right next to it.
2) “All women become like their mothers. That is their tragedy. No man does. That’s his.” Think about it. In my youth, l prayed l would never be like my mum because she was so tough on us. As an adult, l realize l would do things exactly the same as it shaped me into being what l am today.
3) “There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about.” Accept the fact that haters will always hate. Nothing you can do but take the high road and keep being yourself. Jealousy is a horrible part of human nature, but don’t let it get you down.
4) “Morality is simply the attitude we adopt towards people whom we personally dislike.” How often do we judge based on our personal feelings towards someone? A prettier girl? Of course she’s dumb! Perhaps even a slut!
5) “I think that God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” I always get a chuckle out of this one. I keep hoping there is a bigger plan.
[et_bloom_locked optin_id=optin_4]Halloween Screen Saver
6) “The only thing to do with good advice is pass it on. It is never any use to oneself.” Even after you have scaled the heights of success, lend a helping hand to the ones that are coming up behind you. Pay it forward.
7) “Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.” A lot of times we don’t realize we’re doing it. We get so wrapped up in ourselves that we think the same is best for all. Not true!
8) “My own business always bores me to death; I prefer other people’s.” Gossip, backstabbing, belittling. The list goes on. The wise ones put the energy into their own lives. Learn from others, but forge your own path.
9) “When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers.” Also known as Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.
10) “Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes.” I know l do. Learning from your past mistakes is always a good thing as it means you’re not going to repeat it. You should never let the fear of making a mistake disrupt your plans for a better future. Keep on moving and learning.
Are you familiar with Oscar Wilde? Which one of these is a favorite? Or do you have others to share?